Monday, February 27, 2012

When in doubt...rip it out

The first item on the To-Do list on Saturday was to vacuum the steps to the basement.  Between boxes and paint cans and various items for the trash, the carpet was a bit dirty and needed some tender loving care.  As I balanced the vacuum on the second step and started working on removing the dust, dirt and grime I realized that this was a wasted effort.  From the moment I saw the steps on one of my original visits, I knew the carpet was not staying.  It was old, red and strangely patterned and its removal was firmly imprinted on the "Future To-Do" list in the back of my mind.  I had to make a split decision about whether to continue kicking up dust or just rip out the carpet.  I chose option number two and couldn't be happier with my decision.  A semi-quick vacuum job turned into a morning of ripping out carpet and removing carpet tacks and staples.  Certainly not what either my mother or I had in mind for a relaxing Saturday morning, but I think we both will tell you that it was worth the effort.  I have to open the door when I walk past just to see the beautiful stairs.  The sanding and finishing will take place a little later (once I buy my own sander), but at least the carpet is gone.
Before

Moments after the decision was made to remove the carpet

Cleaning with a little Murphy's oil soap
After - for now

1 comment:

  1. Good choice....much better in my opinion. Loved your pictures....looks like it's all coming together. Road trip!!!

    ReplyDelete